September 10, 2009

I just realized…

1-UNAM-Centro de Ciencias Genomics

...that I haven’t shown you where I’ve been “working” for the past 2 weeks. Working? Not really, I’ve been having a few issues with my placement. Let me explain. The English program at the CCG (Centro de Ciencias Genómicas) is brand new this year. In other words, there is only ONE English class and ONE English teacher. The class meets twice a week for 1.5 hours each time, and here’s the catch…it is completely optional. That’s right. The class is 100% come-as-you-please. As you can imagine, this results in pretty low attendance. I think there are 30 or so students enrolled in the class and on average, 2-5 show up. It’s really kind of sad.

The worst part of all is that I don’t get to teach. I sit in the back of class, and add my input when I’m given the opportunity. For example, a person who alters your clothes is a ‘tailor’ not a ‘taylor,’—yes this is one minor correction that I had to tell the professor…he was extremely hesitant to believe me. So, I’m kind of without work right now. No work? Awesome, right? Are you thinking 9-month vacation in Mexico? Not really…believe it or not, I really wish I was doing something productive and meaningful with my time.

So, I have a meeting in DF tomorrow with my advisor about the situation. I’m not sure what is going to happen, but please send me lots of wishes for the best (whatever that may be).

I don’t want this post to be completely negative, so let me give you a mini tour of the part of the university that I spend my days at.


2-The patio outside the CCG

This is my “office.” Yes, unfortunately I don’t have a space where the students can come to see me if they do want help. When it’s sunny out, it’s a nice place to work. But being that we’re in the rainy season right now, the sun does not make an appearance very often. Sometimes the students come by and chat with me under the umbrellas, something I really enjoy.

3-Overlooking the CCG/Inside the CCG

This is a view of the CCG from above. The majority of Cuernavaca is built on a hill…yes very similar to Pittsburgh. However, the hills here in Cuernavaca are much steeper…think Mt. Washington-like streets. You can also see the CCG locker area in this picture. I might not have an oficina, but I do have a locker. This has been quite helpful.

My dedicated class

Finally, these are my students (the ones that actually come to class). To date, this has been the largest class I’ve had yet. I’m glad I took a picture that day! I really can’t complain about the students because they have been very nice to me. It’s not their fault that there is no reason to come to class. I mean would you go to class if you didn’t have to?

So, that’s how things have been here in Cuernavaca…Kind of slow, but that is Mexico in a sense.

Abrazos, Nicole

P.S. Can I get all the negativity out at once? Montezuma has certainly been getting his share of revenge on me for the last 2 days. I will spare you the details :-S

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol thats beat you dont get to teach. Maybe you should start something yourself like an after school or weekend like get together and you guys hang out and at the same time teach or something fun like that. I hope u get a teaching job or something though! By the way i am super jealous the scenery there is just amazing and u had me drooling with some of those food pics. have fun!

-JB

Anonymous said...

By the way gooooo STEELERS! lol first game of the season today and im missing half of it b/c im in class..

-JB

Adam Mal said...

The students look like a pretty cool bunch. Is their english very good?

Nicole said...

Adam,

The students have quite a range of English abilities. For example, I have one student who lived in the US for 4 years and speaks English without any accent at all. Then, I have other students who are afraid to even speak because they think they are making mistakes. Overall, they are a really great group of kids and I definitely enjoy talking with them (in Spanish and English).

Unknown said...

I hear you about not having a lot to do. It sounds like fun but after a few days it gets old. It sounds like the professor should be including you a lot more. After all if I were taking a spanish class I would want to learn from someone who grew up in the culture. I know 3 Chineese grad students here at GA Tech, they all learned english from a young age, did well on the SAT and other english tests but can hardly communicate anything in normal conversation. I hope your meeting with your advisor goes well and you can work something out.

Post a Comment