October 1, 2009

Chilangolandia

Colonia Roma Sur

Thank you for all the positive thoughts and comments. Luckily, I did not lose my scholarship, but Fulbright decided to move me to Mexico City or Chilangolandia as the Mexicans like to call it.

Strolling Through Parque Mexico

I packed up all my things last Friday, moved to a temporary location in DF on Saturday, and then moved to another neighborhood in DF on Sunday. I am currently living in Roma Sur, a very nice neighborhood of Mexico City. I am staying in an apartment with a 70-something year-old señora and a housemate, Roberto, who is a lawyer. Señora Nena, as she likes to be called, tries to feed Roberto and me every two seconds…it can be a little much at times. In addition, she likes to “assist” me in almost everything I do, from making quesadillas to holding my arm as she walks me to the park. And, I always get a blessing of ¡Qué Dios te bendiga! (May God bless you!) as I walk out the door. It is quite an interesting situation to say the least.

Fountain in Parque Mexico

My work at the Instituto Politécnico Nacional or the Poli as it is often called is much better. There is an English department, English teachers, and even a language lab! Everyone has been so welcoming, and I already had two conversation classes this past week. The students are very friendly and range in age from 18 to 80. The university is located in a nice area not far from where I am living. With walking and riding the metro, it takes me about 45 minutes to get to work, which is not bad considering the sheer size of Mexico City.

Houses Around Parque Mexico

Life in the big city has been good so far, and I’m adjusting quite well to being a chilanga (person from Mexico City). It is nice to be able to walk out my door and go to the park or stroll through the open air market. I enjoy going by the little tortillerías in the neighborhood on my way home from work; they always have tempting wafts of freshly baked corn tortillas drifting from their doors. There is a fruit stand on almost every corner, and it is nice to say ¡Buenos Días! every morning to the woman who is squeezing fresh juice on the corner.

Overall, everything is going just fine here in the third largest city in the world. I promise to post more pictures soon!

Click for more pictures!

Abrazos, Nicole

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicole,
I'm so glad to her that you made it to Mexico City. Keep us updated on your new students, and what they have you working on. Do you think you will have time to find your own apartment or house to live, or are you going to stay where you are?
I love your 'water' pictures! They are so artsy!!

-Bethany

Anonymous said...

A big hug from home - glad all is going well.
Loved the dog picture in your gallery. Do they have to wait outside the park? What a beautiful city - so colorful. I'll bet you have a great time exploring. Enjoy!

Ofira Roll said...

Just wanted to say hi and congratulation :) it is wonderful to see and read what you do with your life. Good luck with all you do there and everywhere. We are doing great in Vancouver.

peace,
Ofira

Renee said...

Nicole!

I love your pictures! I can't wait to come see your place! I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the Poli. You were missed this weekend- I hope to see you soon!

Mariška (Mari) B. said...

Nicole,

your blog rocks and your pics are awesome! sorry about the crazy move and stuff, but I'm glad you're enjoying DF. :) If you're looking for more friends, one of my friends Drew is there getting his MBA, and I could hook you up :)

Take care!

Anonymous said...

Nicole,

Hello from Texas--almost in Mexico! So glad to catch up on what's happening in your life from your wonderful blog.

Sounds like the change was a good thing for you--maybe it is a good thing to speak up. A little extra work to move twice, but what a wonderful chance to experience both locations and universities.

I am praying for you, maybe not with a blessing out the door like your Senora Nena, but every time you come to mind.

I'm proud of you!

Love from Aunt Mary Kay!

Post a Comment