October 12, 2009

Xochimilco (So-chee-MILL-co)

1-Xochimilco Canals

Can I officially say that I have the coolest friends here in Mexico?!

2-Cammie, Jonathan, Brittany, Roberto, and some goodies

On Friday, I met up with Cammie in the zócalo to check out the giant book fair that is going on right now. This book fair is a Spanish teacher’s paradise…gosh I wish I had access to these kinds of Spanish books in the United States. Anyway, at the fair we met up with friends of Cammie who are currently teaching English in Guanajuato. Jonathan and Brittany came to DF for the weekend to scope out the scene. Cammie and I certainly enjoyed spending the afternoon with this awesome couple and hopefully we can meet up with them in Oaxaca when they move there next month. The four of us searched out a little place to eat lunch, and then we hit up the most amazing panadería—probably the largest one I’ve been to yet. Of course, we all bought a pastry…how could we resist? Afterwards, we went over to the Biblioteca Benjamín Franklin and browsed the shelves. Then Cammie and I headed back to my place to bake something delicious. We whipped up some banana bread using the pile of overripe bananas that is sitting on my kitchen table. Did you know that banana bread isn’t common here? It’s like a foreign treat that no one has ever tried. Anyway it was a hit with both Señora Nena and Roberto.

3-Clau, Guicho, Javier, Mateo, Eder and the Museo Dolores Olmedo

On Saturday, I met up with my dear and wonderful friend, Claudia (a former student from the CCG). Clau brought along several of her friends: Mateo and Javier are from Spain and are working on their theses at UNAM. Eder is a friend of Claudia’s brother, and Güicho is a friend and former student from the CCG. The six of us had breakfast together at Tasqueña…guajolotas and atole. A guajolota is a tamale that is sandwiched between two pieces of bread. I know…lots of starch, but oh so delicious. Atole is a drink that is thickened with cornmeal; it comes in many flavors including rice, oatmeal, chocolate, and strawberry. Unfortunately, I had already eaten a pretty substantial breakfast so I had to pass on the guajolota, but I did order a cup of chocolate atole which was amazing. It tasted exactly like hot chocolate, but it was thick and creamy due to the cornmeal. Yum…absolutely yum.

4-The grounds of the Museo Dolores Olmedo

After breakfast we boarded a train and headed further south toward Xochimilco. Once we arrived, we made our way over to the Dolores Olmedo Patiño museum that is hosting a Diego Rivera & Frida Kahlo exhibit right now. The museum is situated in a former hacienda so the grounds are absolutely beautiful.

5-Peacocks and Xoloitzcuintle at Dolores Olmedo

There were peacocks everywhere, and we saw these Aztec dogs called xoloitzcuintle. I think they are the ugliest animals, but apparently they fetch a pretty penny. In addition, it was amazing to see the original artwork of two incredible people: Diego and Frida. It always excites me to see a well-known work of art in person.

6-Veracruz Musicians

Before leaving the museum we enjoyed a musical performance put on by a group from Veracruz.

7-Xochimilco Market

After our time at the museum, we got on a bus and hopped over to the Xochimilco market. I thought we were going to eat lunch at the market, but Clau had other plans. We bought tortillas, cheese, salsa, cooked pork, nopales (cactus), chicharrón (pork rind), limes, avocados, and aguas frescas (juices). We packed everything in bags and headed to the canals of Xochimilco or what remains of Lake Xochimilco—the body of water that the Mexicas settled on long ago. (Remember: Mexico City is essentially built on a lake.)

'8-Aboard

Xochimilco is like the Venice of Mexico, but instead of riding a gondola you ride a trajinera. Each trajinera is beautifully painted and is usually given a female name. We rented the “Santa Patricia” for an hour and a half and sat down at the large table to enjoy a most amazing picnic lunch of tacos. What a rookie gringa I was. I didn't realize that the thing to do on the trajineras is bring along a picnic lunch. But, luckily I had Clau to show me the ropes. She brought along cups, plates, silverware, napkins, and of course food from the market.

9-The colors of Xochimilco

The weather was absolutely beautiful with blue skies and warm breezes. It was fun to glide along the canals and every once in a while there was a trajinera pile-up akin to a round of bumper cars. Some trajineras held birthday parties, others held family gatherings, and others were subject to nightclub-like activity complete with stereo systems pumping reggaeton and dancing. We chose to have a mariachi band serenade us with a classic Mexican song. I can certainly say that my experience in Xochimilco has been one of the most memorable things I have done here in Mexico.

Click for more pictures from this awesome weekend!

Abrazos, Nicole

3 comments:

Mom said...

WOW...that's all I can say! What a beautiful, beautiful, country. And your friends know of some wonderful places to visit. What a great time!

Ixchel said...

Hi im Ixchel : Claudia´friend

I studied Tourism and im planning a trip to a beach in Nayarit state,4 days 3 nights
all inclusive. Its really good . If you are interested you can send me a mail.

Es est-tours@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Nicole,
The trajineras are so beautiful! I can't believe all of the beautiful colors! I wish we had stuff like that back in PA. It sounds like you are having an amazing time!
-Bethany

Post a Comment