April 5, 2010

Happy Easter!

Dying Easter Eggs

After my wonderful stay with my family in Pittsburgh, I returned to Mexico on Saturday. Stowed away in my suitcase was an Easter egg dying kit. In case you didn't know, let me just state a fact: Easter egg dying kits = FUN.

Today, I packed 2 dozen hard-boiled eggs in my bag, some plastic cups and spoons, a bottle of white vinegar, and some bottles of water. Unfortunately, I had a smaller group of students because many people were still on vacation, but needless to say, we jumped right into egg dying. Here in Mexico, they don't have a tradition of dying Easter eggs. So, this was certainly something new for them. I had to explain the art of dying a good Easter egg...because it is an art afterall.

Did I ever tell you that I have wonderful students? Look at all of them...so concentrated.

Look at Those Beautiful Easter Eggs

And, look at those Easter eggs! Aren't they a-w-e-s-o-m-e? Or maybe I should say they are egg-cellent :-) Wow, I am so proud!

Teaching a Greek tradition in Mexico

After we finished dying the eggs, I explained to them the Greek tradition of cracking Easter eggs. Greeks have an egg cracking tradition, known as tsougrisma, which is somewhat like the Americans' tradition of breaking the wishbone at Thanksgiving. In Greece, friends and neighbors crack their eggs against one another's to see who ends up with the whole egg. The one holding the last whole egg is deemed the lucky one.

Daniel Wins Egg Cracking 2010!

Well, Daniel proudly won the Egg Cracking Competition of 2010 with his bright red Easter egg. Yay! I'm so glad I was able to share this tradition with my students. Happy Easter to everyone! Christos anesti to my Greek family!

Click for more pictures!


Abrazos, Nicole

1 comments:

Mom said...

Maybe you'll start a new tradition in Mexico. I especially liked the Mexican flag egg! And you showed them how to crack eggs ~ two traditions for the price of one. What fun!

Post a Comment